Today I wanted to share with you a project I made using the beautiful acrylic banner that Clear Scraps offer.
I decided to make a banner with the lucky theme to coincide with St. Patrick's day which we celebrate this month. Let me share with you how I did this project....
first I gathered my supplies. I wanted the project to be mainly green in color to emphasize the theme so that's the first thing I gathered. NOTE: I tend to create as I go. That's my main process so you will notice that in this pile, I've used some and tossed others.
After gathering my supplies, I peeled the protective film over the acrylic banners and painted them green using glitter paint from Tattered Angels. I love that this will give the acrylics some color and shimmer too.
Then I cut some papers from Jillibean soup that will go inside the banners. To make sure it'll fit perfectly inside, I measured the banner first and then subtracted 1/2" from that number for the size of my papers.
I then worked on the papers that will hold my letter stickers. I wanted it to have that corrugated feel that Jillibean Soup in known for so I brougth out my paper crimper (BTW, who still uses this today?) and added some texture to kraft colored cardstock. I also rounded the corners.
After that, I layered it onto yellow cardstock and trimmed the edges of that with scallop scissor. When that was done, I added my letter stickers (from Basic Grey) onto the blocks.
I love all the textures and designs on the letter blocks.
I then worked on the acrylic some more by adding Stickles glitter glue around the edges to emphasize the shape of it. I then walked away for a bit to let the project dry before continuing.
When the glitter glue was dried, I inked the pattern papers' edges with brown ink. See that mishap on the paper? too much inking. I'm not worried about that though because I can cover that with flower later on.
Next on the process was assembling the banner. I adhered the pattern papers and letter blocks on top of the acrylic banners.
Next comes the fun part...embellishing the banner. I grabbed my green flowers and some green bling and pearls and went to town with them.
I decided to layer a bunch of flowers together and finished it off with a green bling. I added three of these and for the other two banners, I added a felt butterfly (from Jenni Bowlin Studios) plus a punched out butterfly using Martha Stewart Crafts punch using more Jillibean Soup paper.
After that I worked on putting each banner together. I did this with tying a grosgrain green ribbon and tying it into a ribbon.
This is how I did the edges. I needed a long piece so I can hang it up and then made a bow which I adhered onto the acrylic.
The bows were looking a bit plain to me so I added more bling to it. I decided to go with red to make the shine of the bling pop up against the green ribbon.
So there you have it. Here's another look at the finished banner and some close ups....
I hope you enjoyed my little tutorial and was inspired to make your very own lucky banner.
Till next time,
I have seen some really beautiful ideas with this album. I was thinking it would be a great Mother's Day album.
I am off to share your post- not that I want to share -better chance for me to win!
Posted by: Dawnll | March 18, 2011 at 08:48 AM